At my graduation ceremony after finishing my Classical Civilisation degree, I was telling my lecturer about the volunteering work I have been doing at Ham House and she suggested I blog about it. So here is the start of that little idea and hopefully I will have lots of things to write. I have thoughts in my head but who knows if they'll come out right or not.
So, quick overview of Ham. It is a National Trust property situated on the river Thames between Richmond and Kingston. The house was built in 1610 and given to William Murray by King Charles I in 1626. Murray had been the Kings whipping boy in childhood and they remained friends so the house and estate was bestowed as gift and Murray became the first Earl of Dysart. Apart from Murray, the other two main figures you hear of around the house are Elizabeth Murray (William's daughter) and the 4th Earl Lionel Tollemache, Elizabeth's great grandson (he liked tapestries). After that nothing much has changed.
That's all I'm going to write for now. More soon.
No comments:
Post a Comment